Bottled water may be one of the most extravagant and wasteful products of modern society. It may seem like a good idea when you think of pollutants and health, but consider that there are a lot more detriments to it than advantages. Here are five reasons why you should not drink bottled water:
1) Increased carbon footprints. Bottled water is one of the most wasteful things for the future to deal with. Consider the amount of bottle waste that ends up in the world—some in the “proper” landfill and some not. The end result is a huge carbon footprint that does damage to the water, land, and just about everything in between.
2) Healthier? Research studies have shown that bottled water is not necessarily healthier than tap water. In fact, some companies were accused of complete false advertising with claims like “fresh spring water” or “from the clear isle of Hawaii.” Upon research, the water was sourced from the manufacturing plant’s location, they are selling tap water as spring water. In the end, water is water. Yes- purification is an issue, but paying more for “exclusive” water is a huge waste for the consumer as well.
3) More garbage. Just think of the number of options when it comes to buying bottled water. One design after another, varying bottle sizes, varying labels—all created to attract your attention and money. That plastic container has to go somewhere. Millions of bottles are tossed out every month. Even if you are recycling, the bottles are ending up as waste. It is estimated that about 20-million tons of bottles find their way to landfills. That’s not to mention the rest that don’t.
4) Waste of transportation oil. Consider how much fuel is needed to move a load of water from the manufacturing plant to the distributor, from the distributor to the retail store, and from the retail store to the consumer. Not to mention the fuel needed to bring raw materials to the plant where water bottles are made…in then end it is a huge drain on the economy and a burden for the earth to sustain.
Image Credit; smgov.net
5) Ownership of water. Water is a resource provided by Mother Nature provided to humans. People need water. They can learn to cut down on food, but water is a daily necessity. By one company or another claiming ownership, they are really putting their brand on something that never was theirs. It can lead to dangerous consequences if the wrong hands have the power and determination to claim it.
In the end, water is a natural resource that must be treated wisely. Consider the lack of benefits to ordering and buying bottled water in the grand scheme. Once you do, you likely will realize that buying bottled water is a waste for all parties involved, it is so much better for your health and the environment to get a good water filter installed, then you have access to the purest healthiest water available without all the negatives of bottled water
Why Filtered Water Is Better For Your Health
5 Reasons Not To Drink Tap Water
Filtered Water Vs Bottled Water
Filtered Water Vs Tap Water and Why You Should Buy a Filter for Your Home
The Impact Bottled Water Has On the Environment
The Cold Hard Truth about Tap Water
Water Filtration for Hikers and Backpackers
Best Filter for Top Health